Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I order a Tree? Return to top
You can order online, and pay through our secure worldpay payment system with all major debit/credit cards. You can place an order over the phone and we can take debit/credit card details and pay through our secure payment system or you can order by post by cheque.
- What happens once the site is full? Return to top
20 years from the date of the last tree planting at a Memorial Forest all plaque posts will be removed. We will still maintain the site and look after the Memorial Trees to ensure that the woodland is safe and as accessible as possible. Eventually the management of each forest will be returned to the original land owner.
- How do I get further information about ‘Life for a Life’? Return to top
- You can either send a request for an information booklet through the Contact Us webpage or contact us at our office on 0161 624 2299 and we will post a booklet out that same day.
- What time of year do you plant? Return to top
- We plant on the majority of Saturdays and Sundays throughout the year, however we do not plant during August due to the dry weather and we also do not plant at some Memorial Forests during January and February to avoid the risk of cancelling and rescheduling plantings if it snows.
- How many words can you have on a plaque, and how many plaques can you have at one tree? Return to top
A plaque can fit 30-35 words on. Dates in number format i.e. “06.11.2012” is counted as one word. Dates in word format i.e. “6th November 2012” is counted as three words. We will send out a proof of your wording before having a plaque made either by email or post.
- Can I choose the plot where my Memorial tree is planted? Return to top
- You are able to meet our grounds man on site to choose a plot, subject to availability. Our grounds man will give you tree advice on site and will mark out the plot with a tag number that will link to your order and your date of planting.
- How do I choose my tree when the trees are pre-planted? (South-West memorial forests only) Return to top
- At our South-west Memorial Forests we pre-plant groups of trees at a time, each available tree can be identified by a small green tag which has a plot number on (e.g. CLAT51). We advise clients to choose 2 or 3 preferred plots; we can then check our system to ensure that at least one is available and we will then secure this plot for you. We can secure plots for a maximum of 14 days before we receive your order.
- Can I choose a specific date for my tree to be planted? Return to top
We always try to accommodate client’s wishes for specific dates of planting. We do ask for as much notice as possible as our diary gets fully booked up very quickly.
- Do you collect ashes from the funeral Directors? Return to top
We can collect ashes from funeral directors. We do ask for a donation when collecting ashes, please contact us first to discuss the details and get a quote on 0161 624 2299
Please note you will have to give written permission to the funeral director to allow ‘Life for a Life’ to collect the ashes on your behalf.
- Can I scatter on the ground at tree? Return to top
Ashes are interred into the ground by the roots of your Memorial tree. You are not permitted to carry out this function yourself as various laws and regulations must be adhered to and records completed relating to the final dispersal of cremated remains.
Please note that we will require the certificate of cremation for all ashes intered. The certificate of cremation will be with the ashes when collected from the funeral directors.
- How can I get extra certificates of plantation? Return to top
For every tree we plant we issue a certificate of plantation for you to keep, this certificate has all the details relating to your Memorial Tree which you may need for future reference. Copies of this certificate can be ordered for a donation of £2.50 each, we can also post duplicate certificates to family members on your behalf.
- Can I plant or leave cut flowers by the tree? Return to top
We do permit the planting of British Blue Bells and Snow Drops and other natural British woodland plants. However it is very important that clients understand that it is not permitted to create shrines around a Memorial Tree in a ‘Life for a Life’ Memorial Forest. There are many reasons why we do not let this happen. ‘Life for a Life’ aims to create beautiful, well managed Forests of Remembrance. These forests are not graveyards or cemeteries, and with this in mind, we actively discourage clients from placing any item around the tree that would not occur naturally in this environment. This includes photographs, toys, cards, poems or cut flowers. Clients have, on some occasions, placed pebbles and rocks around the tree for decoration. These pebbles can break our machinery, which is then very costly to replace. Wooden log rolls are also not allowed. If these are chemically treated they can kill the tree and also serve as an increased fire hazard in hot, dry weather.
- What should I do if I have a problem with my Memorial Tree, Bench or Plaque? Return to top
You can contact us on 0161 624 2299, through the “Contact Us” option on our website or email us direct at email@example.com. We will require details of the tree i.e. plot number or reference number. If you do not have these details we will ask further questions to find the record on our system.
- Where can I view the Book of Remembrance? Return to top
Most books are located at our head office in Chadderton, Oldham and a few Books have specially chosen locations nearby to area of the planting site. You will also have the ability to view your inscription online through a virtual Book of Remembrance. All Books of remembrance are updated every 8-12 weeks. If you have any questions regarding your inscription please do not hesitate to contact us.
- How often is the grass cut? Return to top
Each site will be cut 5/6 times a year, or more often if needed. This is done from March/April to Sept/Oct every year (weather dependent). With the exception of forests with gound nesting birds, wildflowers or a SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest).
- How many plaques can you have on a tree? Return to top
Each tree can only accommodate one plaque.
- What should I wear to a planting? Return to top
When attending a planting or visiting a memorial forest we ask that suitable outdoor and weather dependent clothing and footwear is worn, i.e waterproofs and walking boots.